RE: [OM] Digital photography article

Subject: RE: [OM] Digital photography article
From: Andre Goforth <andregoanon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 10:49:28 -0700 (PDT)
It may sound goofy but going from digital to analog
may have uses. As I recall there is a photo article
(somewhere on the web) that talks about getting around
the labor intensive,one at a time printing of a BW
negative. Recall that the likes of Ansel Adams had to
keep extensive notes on the dodging and burning
process on many of his masterpieces. And these were
hard to reproduce. What the article said was that one
could digitize the artist's final print and then
reproduce it on (the same kind?) negative film from
which you could make multiple prints with all the
dodging and burning adjustments built in. The artist's
creativity and vision was permanently captured.

The  question I  have is just how good is the
digitizing and its transfer to film. If it is really
good then this makes sense to me. You may ask why
bother printing analog once you have a "digital
negative". The answer is that some people claim they
can see and feel the difference between digital and
traditional printing especially in B&W.

Seeing and feeling a difference in photo prints
happened to me this weekend. I saw a photographer's
stuff at a craft show that was printed by him using
cibachrome. Now isn't cibachrome kinda dated? So what
is the big deal and why mention it here? The prints
were absolutely stunning. This was color. I could
"feel" the pictures.

Yep, you can probably look at them on the web and they
would look nice and fit in with the millions of other
there too. Like most everybody else I'm mesmerized by
the look of photo pics shimmering on a phosphorus
screen but seeing them "in the flesh" on the wall as I
did makes me think of taking up chemical color
printing. Nothing like turning into a dinosaur or was
I one all along,:))

Andre