RE: [OM] Digital photography article

Subject: RE: [OM] Digital photography article
From: Andre Goforth <andregoanon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 11:00:52 -0700 (PDT)
--- AG Schnozz <agschnozz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I've had to do something similar with a particular
color picture
I took years ago.  The negative had been damaged with
multitude of scratches and other debris. We printed it
on a
16x20 and I spent a small fortune having it
air-brushed.
Afterwards I had multiple negs and trannies made for
future
reproduction.  I have sold numerous copies of this
print, but
the original hangs with pride on my living-room wall.
Without
the air-brushed "master" this would have been a wasted
shot that
would have been delegated to the woulda-coulda bin.
SNIP

I recall reading Ansel Adam's words about the printing
of a photo of G O'Keefe and some other famous
gentleman wearing western hats and laughing. Adams was
trying out a new 35m camera from Contax at the time.
After processing the film, the negative fell on the
floor and got stomped on really badl; it was badly
scratched.  It took him hours to nurse a print out of
it. I don't know how many were made. It is reproduced
fairly common in Ansel Adams books. I wonder what he
would have done today. I recall reading in Modern
Photography in the 80s that he said he thought there
was a future for electronic-based photography.

Andre