Re: [OM] How to Capture subtle colors

Subject: Re: [OM] How to Capture subtle colors
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 21:11:08 +0100
Moose

At 01:42 -0700 16/9/02, dreammoose wrote:
Remember the original question: Why is the subtle color change at
the end of the petals of this flower missing in the photos? The
question related to regular consumer 4x6 prints (where Clendon(?)
already  found the color lacking) scanned on a flat bed. I was
exploring the contribution of the process used vs. direct scanning
of the film on a film scanner. In that context, I believe the
experiment found out where the color most likely went. A number of
the comments remarked on contrast problems, 'blown-out highlights',
etc. I believe the answer to those issues lies in the same place.

Yes, I had forgotten about that, and it is a good answer to the
original question.

Your explanation for the contrast problem may be the case, although
I think it's at least partly due to the print, too, as I have the
advantage of having it here in front of me. It doesn't seem to me to
be just loss of contrast, but loss of both the high and low end of
density and loss of subtlety of tonal graduation. I picked the
brighter part of the picture for the specific purpose of the test.
Darker areas of the print have better apparent sharpness and better
tonal graduation.

It would seem that a print is "optimised" for viewing, not for scanning.

As to focus, the 4x6 print looks pretty sharp viewed in the usual
way, 10-12" from the eye - and I have 20-10 corrected vision in one
eye. The image on my screen is about 6x the size of the 4x6 print,
or the equivalent of viewing a 24x26" print close-up, a pretty tall
order for enlargement from a consumer print. I believe some of the
softness may be focus in the printing machine, but that most is
simply resolution limitation in the print emulsion; certainly the
original neg is sharp. Now that I've calculated the effective size,
I'm pretty impressed with the film, lens and scanner performance. I
forgot to mention the film before. Kodak Gold 400-3, not a film I'm
familiar with, it just came in a box of other film as a bonus, but
certainly not a known superfilm.

Perhaps the flatbed scanner is not focussing properly on the print;
is that possible?

Chris
--
<|_:-)_|>