[OM] How to Capture subtle colors

Subject: [OM] How to Capture subtle colors
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 22:22:20 +1200
Clendon Gibson wrote

> I have been taking pictures of this bright yellow flower
> now for months. I have been disatisfied so far partly
> because the thing that draws my attention to these things
> is the very slightly orange portion of the petal. I have
> so far failed to capture this aspect of the flower. Here
> are some pictures to show what I mean.Clendon Gibson

> http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder.tcl?folder_id=236230
>
> I am using Kodak Royal Gold 100 on this.
>
> I have considered the fact that I might be halucinating
> the whole thing under the Texas sun, but have checked it
> twice.
Hi Clendon.  My 2c worth.  From my own experience and from detailed
looking at John Shaws photos (and he shot flowers in Texas).

I think you have made several of those shots in the open sunlight.

I'd try in BRIGHT cloud (white cloud with the sun behind it) Yes I know, you
might go days without that. OK, get a white umbrella or B&W umbrella (not
coloured, anyway) and block the direct sunlight. Use a white cotton sheet if
you have one. Or do what John Shaw did (usually to defeat the neverstopping
Texas wind too) take your photos before sunrise or after sunset. But frankly I
think some of his shots taken like this look dull despite having good colour
saturation.

Try the light a little from the side instead of full frontal light. Use the
side light
to also pick out some of the surface detail.

Try with a little less exposure to enhance saturation.

Some colours can never be captured on film; it's a matter of wave-length and
I don't know what else. I've seen discussions in places like Scientific
American (when it was a good read). Maybe these flowers are one of those -
but I wouldn't assume so. The big bugbear was the dyes in some fabrics.

If you are using print film, try another processor.

For print film I use Fuji Superia Reala a lot and like it. It supposedly has
more saturation but I don't think it is overdone.

BUT I have also noticed that flowers shot on print film come out with flat
colours compared with what I had achieved using Kodachrome 64.

Try some of the different Fuji chromes. Some of them are more saturated.

Ektachrome E100VS is very saturated.

Ring the changes one at a time and take notes otherwise you won't know
what made the difference.

Phew !! Takes a breath. HTH

Brian