Re: [OM] B&W 400 film, need suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] B&W 400 film, need suggestions
From: Roger Wesson <roger@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 11:16:18 +0100
Which Ilford did you try? XP-2 is their C-41 process emulsion, and personally I love it. Lovely tones and it's got very wide latitude. I've done the classic forget-to-turn-the-film-speed-dial trick several times, overexposing by two stops as I use mostly 100 speed film, but the Ilford copes with that without a problem. Printed on colour paper you get nice sepia toning.

I've also used Ilford HP5, and thought the results from that were excellent. If you're not printing yourself, then be sure to take them somewhere decent for printing - don't let substandard labs put you off a good emulsion.

Roger

Albert wrote:

I'm looking for a good B&W film that ISO400. I've tried the Ilford, wasn't that happy with it. Kodak TMax400 is not bad, but printed on color paper, you get green or magenta people, and also, I figure if I am going to go B&W, might as well go B&W...

So aside from those two, anything you can suggest as far as BW film?