Re: [OM] B&W 400 film, need suggestions

Subject: Re: [OM] B&W 400 film, need suggestions
From: Albert <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 22:21:54 -0700
What I have noticed is:

I use to shoot only Superia 400... and about the 30th roll, I started learning more about how the film "reacts" to certain light situations, and my pictures got a lot better... Even my friend who's a pro, told me that.. He said as a poor student, his brother owned a one-hour photo store, and got film at cost, and so all he shot was Kodak 100's... and he learned the characteristics of the film really well, and his pictures showed it.. Now, I shoot 3 films. Superia 400, Reala 100, and my slide film is Provia 100.

I'd like to add a B&W 100 and a B&W 400 to my bag. I've been giving Acros a try, a bit soft, but very smooth. The BW400 I have yet to find to my liking...

I'll give Tri-X a try I guess...

Albert

Gary Edwards wrote:

ANY black and white film printed on color paper will yield poor results.
You need to seek out a lab that has extra magazines for their printer with
color-process black and white paper.  Or a lab that will print by hand on
old fashioned black and white paper. Or learn to do it yourself.

Kodak T400CN is a non-traditional b&w film developed in C-41 chemicals to
produce a more or less normal black and white negative.  It is reportedly
difficult to print on conventional paper unless you use some specialized
technique (two exposures with different polycontarast filters on
polycontrast paper, according to Ag Snozz).  It scans quite well and I use
it a lot.

To quote another photographer, Kodak conventional T-max films were developed
by chemists who do not understand photography, and can't understand why
people keep buying Tri-X. Tri-X is legendary for its smooth, rich tonality
and is still the favorite for many serious photographers.  Most
photographers use an Exposure Index of less than 400 for it (typically
250-320).

Ilford makes some fine film but I have no experience with it.  Others will
surely comment on it.

Fine black and white photography is a highly developed art.  You have to
learn your materials and processes (and how to expose) to achieve consistent
fine results.  Be prepared to expend some time and effort learning, and
avoid hopping from film to film.

Good luck,
Gary Edwards