Re: [OM] OM-4Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4Ti
From: Andre Goforth <andregoanon@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 21:27:21 -0700 (PDT)
I find the very opposite. I find the OM 4T ideal for
people photography. There is a reference in Ivar
Matanle's "Collecting and Using Classic SLRs to
Olympus SLRs that they were the mainstay of the
"fashion" crowd. He is referring to fashion and
journalistic photogs of the late 60s, 70s,80s. (Wasn't
the photographer in the movie Blowup using an
Olympus?)

I find the accumlative spot metering and exposure
memory to be invaluable in interactive people oriented
shooting where they may change outfits and/or move
from one setting to another (light to dark).

It has taken lots of practice. I can change
lens,winders  replace film and etc. in the dark. I can
reach in to my bag and pull out the lens I want
without ever looking at them and get the one I want.
This is something any serious/professional/whatever
photog will know regardless of the brand or format
they are working with.

With all due respect, I believe such facility with any
brand gear has to be diligently acquired. Maybe you
haven't taken the time to do this with 4Ts.(Nikon is a
great system and if it works better for you then more
power to you!)

The 4T metering may be used to manage the very sticky
situation of photoing group photos of mixed
ethnicities. Concern a pale pink caucasian in dark
clothes and a very dark south Indian(from Kerla for
example) in light clothes and then a couple of
olive/yellow skinned Asians in a menagerie of colored
clothes at the beach(San Digeo Ca) around noon time in
the spring and the fog has burned off but it is partly
cloudy.

There is more than one way to solve this with the 4Ts
metering. Any suggestions from the list to show Tim
the possibilities?

One question about the Nikon. Can the Nikon tell you
the difference in f stops in reflectance between two
individuals with different complexions? Can it tell
you the difference in f-stops between the left and
right sides of a face when there is side lighting?

Andre