Re: [OM] OM-4Ti

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-4Ti
From: Winsor Crosby <wincros@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 2002 15:06:26 -0700
I'm wondering on the intelligence of investing in an Om4-Ti. It's a dead system... But I would like spot metering on my Om1n, and I'm wondering if another brand wouldn't yield me a better buy? I currently have 3 lenses... and that seems to be the leverage in investment, but for an OM4Ti, I can buy quite a bit of another brand..Or go digital SLR..

What do you all think?
Albert

It depends if you want new equipment. If you want used you will be able to buy Olympus stuff for years. If you want a OM1n with spotmeter its successor is the OM3Ti. I don't know of an easier automatic camera to use in manual than the OM4Ti though. I went directly from manual cameras to the OM4T and find I quite like aperture priority auto exposure.

Other manual focus cameras with spot(not multi) metering jump into the luxury class, at least for the lenses and accessories. There is the Contax Aria and the Leica R. The Leicas before the R8 are a much more reasonable size. There is a lot of high grade plastic in the Contax. The Leica feels like a fine machine. Very fine, very expensive lenses, even used. However there is a bigger range of lenses for the OM and many of them just as fine as the high priced guys.

Or you could buy a hand held spot meter and another lens or OM1N.

My advice is to get the OM4Ti. It is such a fine instinctive and precise picture taking machine that the only time I use the OM1N is for nostalgia purposes. I bought mine new in 1990 and it is doing great after 12 years. Get one now and worry about this question again in 25 years or sooner if we all end up digitized.

--
Winsor Crosby
Long Beach, California