RE: [OM] OT Low Flying, was an OM weekend

Subject: RE: [OM] OT Low Flying, was an OM weekend
From: Marc Lawrence <mlawrence@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 14 Sep 2002 10:19:40 +1000
> Chris Barker [mailto:imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] wrote:
> ... But she would not accept my explanation
> and was adamant that we had flown at less than 250ft overhead.

My father was effectively responsible for PR at RAAF Williamstown,
and frequently received such complaints about low-flowing F18's
and Herc's. One farmer was quite adamant that a Herc' had
buzzed his house at 150'. Dad was a blunty (desk-jockey), so
one of his RAAF-career highlights was getting a lift from
Williamstown to Townsville and Tindell and back in an F18.
He said the the pilot would "lock-on" to speeding trucks (the
pilot could quote their approximate speed) heading up the
Pacific Highway.

The most I ever got to ride in as a RAAF-brat was a plain (no
pun intended) old Herc'.

Of course, Dad also had to deal with all the Newcastle city
residents who would see the big QANTAS jets doing all kinds
of outrageous maneuvering off the coast. They would invariably
be "I think a plane's in trouble" or "I hope you're not letting
them build the new international airport in Newcastle/Williamtown".

At all the RAAF airshows, the things that always impressed me most
were the three F111's flying over "dumping fuel" into their
"afterburners" (sorry, there's probably some aeronautical term
for them sitting on a flame far longer than the plane itself),
and the massive B52 lowflying over twice and then back to Darwin.

I did have a Pentax at the '88 Bicentennial Airshow, but all of
my piccies are rather horrendous (I was even less of a photographer
than). Ahh, to be at that show with what I know now [sigh]

Cheers
Marc
Sydney, Oz