RE: [OM] an OM weekend

Subject: RE: [OM] an OM weekend
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2002 13:10:52 -0500
At 23:25 9/8/02, you wrote:
Whoa, like did these planes take off or were they ground-bound?  Seeing some
of these things in real life would be quite cool...

Gary was there longer than I was. I only had about half of Saturday (the latter half). I saw what looked to be ground displays, but focused instead on the aerial portion of the show. All the stuff he mentioned was flying while I was there: B-25's, F4 Corsairs, P-51's, Stearman trainers, a few other old WWII Navy aircraft (torpedo bombers ??), etc. Not up on all the nomenclatures, but I do know the distinctively deep thundering sound of the big piston radial aircraft engine. There's nothing else like it. You don't just hear it, you can feel it too.

I wandered to the east end of the runway and found I could get within about 30 feet of these aircraft as they taxi'ed for take-off. They were the closest shots I've ever made of aircraft with the engines wound up. Had the 35-105 between the 35mm and 50mm marks to fit entire planes into the frame. One of the best parts was near the end of the show on Saturday when a multitude of these aircraft took off one, right after the other. The cacophony of well over a dozen of these old engines in close proximity gave some feel for what it must have sounded like on the WWII airfields, not to mention the sound when they were all in the air. I've seen individual examples of these aircraft fly before, but not entire flights of them. Impressive is a gross understatement.

Gary can provide his perspective of it all . . . he likely saw much more than I did over the entire weekend.

-- John