Re: [OM] ( OM ) Records of shots taken. (was: Jumping into the Pool

Subject: Re: [OM] ( OM ) Records of shots taken. (was: Jumping into the Pool
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Sep 2002 08:31:11 +1200
Hi Folks,

I think it was Winsor who suggested to me that I should use a Palm
computer for recording photographic data and transfer it directly in to my
computer.

Well, that wouldn't work with my system; and in any case I have no intention
of  (or money for) buying a Palm computer.

In my "Field Book" I record these things

Roll#, Film type etc; and Camera Body; Date, Locality, Hour&Weather, Exp
value (Including whether Spot reading),  lens, (I fit in such other stuff as
hand-
held or tripod etc, hood or not, filter or not and if so, which) Subject,
speed,
aperture, focus. Frame numbers are filled in after processing.

The only part  of this set that goes into the computer are the film and frame
numbers. They are the pivotal links to the Field book and the image storage.

The computer database has in addition all kinds of attributes that a photo
buyer might want to purchase, laid out in such a way that the search facility
of the database finds all frames that match, in a flash (DOS). Such things as
a detailed description of the subject including scientific names of plants and
animals that could be important, and detailed geographic information that
could be important in a search; frame title if it has one; year; country;
photographer (if not me); important main keyword; secondary keywords,
colour, patterns; graphic; whether aerial; cropped?; my estimation of
marketability; model release? . And maybe other attributes I can't recall just
now.

The database program I use is a DOS one called "Archivist" and it's just
brilliant.

There is a Windows one I also have but don't use, called "Ask Sam". I
suspect it is equally good; all you would have to do is make a TXT file using
fields as I indicated above (or a very complete free prose description) for
each
frame and then index the whole set with Ask Sam. Ask Sam would find any
word you requested, perhaps excluding words equivalent to the "Stop-word"
list of Archivist.

Brian