Re: [OM] Camera bag recommendations

Subject: Re: [OM] Camera bag recommendations
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 07 Sep 2002 20:23:30 -0500
At 15:26 9/6/02, Derek Fong wrote:

Having read over the photo.net recommendations and not being satisfied with too many of them, I went to Tamrac's site and found the Velocity series (http://www.tamrac.com/f_velocity.htm). Does anyone have any experience with these? (Incidentally, my main beef with the photo.net recommendations is that none of them seem well-suited to someone who just wants to have a camera handy at his side while trekking through the city minding or conducting his own business. I don't want a bag that advertises the fact that I'm carrying camera equipment and I don't want or need a bag that's bigger than your average shoulder bag.)

Thanks in advance!

-f

Derek,
I've been using an old Tamrac 608 for a *lot* of "walk-around" work lately. Beats carrying around the enormous Tamrac Superlight 9 I got just before they were discontinued (the bag is super light, but large and rather heavy when loaded). The 608 is amazingly well organized inside; it normally stores:
  OM-2S cased with 50/1.4 MC body cap
  OM-1n cased with 50/1.4 MC body cap
  35-105/3.5~4.5 with hood
  full circle fisheye aux. lens
  Winder 2 with cables
  Metz 40 MZ-3i and G-16 grip with TTL cables
  bounce card and softbox for the Metz

That's *inside* the bag. The outer pockets are used for film and small acessories, as is the font pouch. The OM-2S often gets swapped with the OM-4 (from the other large bag), the fisheye aux. lens often gets swapped out for a 135/2.8, and sometimes I'll also swap the G-16 grip handle for the 24/2 lens. If more lenswork is needed I'll also swap out the OM-1n or OM-2s for yet another lens, extension tubes or a 2X-A. Wish it had a pocket on the outside along the front of the top flap.

I've never had any problem with it. Its smaller size, age and gray color (versus "pro looking black") make it rather non-descript. It may be identifiable as a camera bag, but it doesn't scream it out.

-- John