Re: [OM] Re: OM DLSR

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: OM DLSR
From: "C.H.Ling" <chling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:33:34 +0800
Tom Trottier wrote:

> > > Apparently the OM->Eos adaptor is non-auto. Anyone have experience?
> >
> > I have no experience but I read from all source that it is non-auto.
> > Don't expect the one from Olympus (if any) will be auto, it is very
> > hard to make).
>
> If you have control of the body, and it's thinner than an OM, then
> basic auto functionality should be no difficulty.

I should have said the overall design will be very difficult, the
traditional OM lenses need a strong aperture closing force which make
motorized operation difficult. At the mean time I don't think they
will still use mechanical coupling for aperture mechanism even yes the
new lens will be operates with less working distance and force. Do you
know the Pen? they have adapter for OM lens (also others) but it is
also manual stop down only. Overall I don't see why they will spend
such an effort to make the OM lenses so "usable".

> I predict Olympus will release a series of adaptors for as many makes
> as possible, at least for the manual focus lenses. Perhaps there will
> be some aperture control à la OM-PC, or just aperture preferred.

I don't think so.

> There may even be some makers' AF lenses supported, but that is
> probably tied up in both complexity and patents.

Yes, Nik*n may make a body that uses OM lens too :-)

C.H.Ling