Re: [OM] Oly 6 MP DSLR

Subject: Re: [OM] Oly 6 MP DSLR
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 13:24:43 -0500
I believe there was an inquiry to Olympus by one of our list members and the official response from Olympus was posted nearly a week ago. Since you might have missed it in the list traffic I've quoted it below. All manner of rumors about an OM-5 and and OM-6 have occurred on this list over the past few years. Don't hold your (baited) breath lest you suffocate. As with all things of this ilk, I'll believe it when I see it in the flesh or via an official press release from Olympus. Until then, even if it or something similar is in the works within Olympus, ***until*** it is released into production and distribution for sale, it can evaporate at any time with a simple executive decision within Olympus to cancel the program and product. I've personally seen this happen on more than one occasion within my industry. Meanwhile, don't expect Olympus to say anything about it that would confirm or deny anything. Developmental activities are almost always closely held corporate secrets for competitive business reasons. Even official denials about specific development work can give as much information to the competition as revealing what one is working on.

-- John
[Posting about 6MP DSLR follows]

At 13:30 8/23/02, Pete wrote (Subject: Olympus Reply):
Here is the official reply from Olympus. Note that he ignored the minor detail concerning the OM mount.

>Thank you for contacting Olympus Digital Technical Support.
>
>We have no information available on a release of a 6MP digital
>camera from our company. If there is to be such a model, then
>that information will become available upon a press release by us.
>
> >Hello. Someone just told me that they read in the Dutch Camera
> >Magazine that OLYMPUS will introduce a digital SLR (6 MegaPixels?)
> >with 6 interchangeable lenses at the Photokina show, and that
> >there will be an adapter for OM-family lenses. Is this true?
> >If so, what is the scheduled release for this product? Thanks.

Pete