RE: [OM] Travel Kits

Subject: RE: [OM] Travel Kits
From: "John Cwiklinski" <plinkochips@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 09:39:56 -0700

However, never much talk about the cases, bags and other items used to transport the gear. What's the experience with this? Do most people just take a soft-bag as a carryon, use a hard case (e.g., Pelican) and pack their soft bag, or what? I've generally just taken either my small bag or knapsack style, but neither would not hold enough gear for a dedicated photo trip.

Inquiring minds want to know."
<<

I use either a Tamrac Expedition 5 or Expedition 3 backpack. Both are soft-side. They carry quite a bit, sturdy, lightweight, used as a carry-on at airports, and I now swear by them. I tried the equivalent Lowepro versions, but like the Tamrac much better (My 2 yen, here). Very easy to get through airport security as the backpack easily opens up to expose all gear inside.

Most of all the weight is distributed evenly across your back and this makes it much more comfortable to walk. With or without silk underwear, my posture is improved using the backpack.

John Cwiklinski