RE: [OM] Travel Kits

Subject: RE: [OM] Travel Kits
From: "John Wheeler" <wheelej@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 29 Aug 2002 15:35:20 +1000
On Thursday, August 29, 2002 2:06 PM
Henry Bottjer-BA wrote:

"Fellow travelers,

There seems to be a healthy, ongoing discussion (over many threads) about
traveling and gear - what to bring, what film to shoot, and recently even
what clothes to wear (hey, if it works go with silk underwear!).  However,
never much talk about the cases, bags and other items used to transport the
gear.  What's the experience with this?  Do most people just take a soft-bag
as a carryon, use a hard case (e.g., Pelican) and pack their soft bag, or
what?  I've generally just taken either my small bag or knapsack style, but
neither would not hold enough gear for a dedicated photo trip.

Inquiring minds want to know."

G'day Henry,

When my wife and I spent last October in the US (we live in Sydney, Oz) I
had not long had my OM-2 with only a few accessories etc. Before leaving
home I bought a Lowepro 'Orion' bag and found it ideal for the sort of
travelling/shooting we were doing. It held the OM-2 with 100-200/f5 zoom,
50/f1.8, T20 flash, 10 films, MJU-2 (Epic), Mayima ZE-X 35mm with 50mm and
28mm lenses, Manfrotto monopod underneath and the usual odds and ends. The
bag has a waist strap a la bumbag and a shoulder strap as well and is
substantially padded where it fits the body. A nice touch is that the lid is
hinged on the outside so that one can swivel the Orion from backside to the
front and and easily see/get at the contents without undoing either strap.
Before we left the US I'd added a 28/f2.8.

Hope this helps.
John.