Re: [OM] Colors of Cameras and Lenses (Was Wow! 2 350/2.8 at once!)

Subject: Re: [OM] Colors of Cameras and Lenses (Was Wow! 2 350/2.8 at once!)
From: Ed Senior <newshawk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 21:22:49 -0400
Actually, for a very long time, most consumer cameras were silver. Black cameras were hard to come by (only a few manufacturers made them) and were mostly used by photojournalists. They preferred them because they were unobtrusive... they didn't call as much attention to the photographer as chrome bodies did. This was especially true in war zones. However, Viet Nam brought the image of war correspondent pjs with their black Nikons into homes all over America and a mystique was born. However, your estimate of 99% black cameras is a bit off, I'd say... I still think the majority of cameras are silver colored.

Ed Senior

Doggre@xxxxxxx wrote:

Just wondering here (obviously a slow day...).... why.... aren't MOST camera bodies AND lenses, NO MATTER THE SIZE, ALL-white, as opposed to the traditional black? I can see a good rationale for black INSIDE the body and any lens, to absorb any extraneous light that might find its way inside, but why black OUTSIDE, as well? Why not white, to keep the body (and hence, the film inside) & lens elements, helicoid grease, etc. cool? Even here in moss country, direct sun doesn't take long to get a body or lens pretty darned warm. I realize some folks would prefer black (or even CAMO) for inconspicuousness, but for the BASIC best all-around color, wouldn't that be WHITE? Is it just tradition that we've ended up with 99% (that's a wild guess) of ALL cameras sold in black? Geez, even Henry Ford got away from basic black in 1927!