[OM] Colors of Cameras and Lenses (Was Wow! 2 350/2.8 at once!)

Subject: [OM] Colors of Cameras and Lenses (Was Wow! 2 350/2.8 at once!)
From: Doggre@xxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 25 Aug 2002 20:26:20 EDT
Just wondering here (obviously a slow day...).... why.... aren't MOST camera
bodies AND lenses, NO MATTER THE SIZE, ALL-white, as opposed to the
traditional black?  I can see a good rationale for black INSIDE the body and
any lens, to absorb any extraneous light that might find its way inside, but
why black OUTSIDE, as well?  Why not white, to keep the body (and hence, the
film inside) & lens elements, helicoid grease, etc. cool?  Even here in moss
country, direct sun doesn't take long to get a body or lens pretty darned
warm.  I realize some folks would prefer black (or even CAMO) for
inconspicuousness, but for the BASIC best all-around color, wouldn't that be
WHITE?  Is it just tradition that we've ended up with 99% (that's a wild
guess) of ALL cameras sold in black?  Geez, even Henry Ford got away from
basic black in 1927!

Sorry if this has been covered in the recent past...

Rich (reaching for another oatmeal cookie)