Re: [OM] OM-10 Help Wanted

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-10 Help Wanted
From: "Ian BManners" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 09 Aug 2002 03:50:38 +1000 (EST)
Hi Shaun

>I'm a complete novice, so please don't laugh at my questions!

Never, we all have to start somewere :)

>Bascially, I'm new to photography and got an OM-10 from a friend. I'm a bit
>confused over the light indicator seen when viewing thru the lens. Is there
>a certain reading I should be aiming for?? I know turning the aperture ring
>alters the reading but I'm not actually sure what it is that its telling
>me...and the manual I found doesn't seem to be too forthcoming.

What you are reading in the viewfinder is the "shutter speed", this
is the speed at which the shutter curtains move across the film box
changing the amount of light passing from the lens mount through
to the film itself. The Aperture ring changes the "aperture" inside
the lens, this also changes the amount of light that the lens allows
through to the film, BUT it also affects the "depth of field", ie, how
sharp and to what degree the objects are in front, and behind
your subject "plane of focus".

For hand held photography I would advise adjusting your
aperture to give a speed in the viewfinder of 250 (1/250 second)
or higher.
The speed also depends on how steady you are, and the
weight of the lens, ie, for a 200mm lense I would use 500
(1/500 second)

If you are using a flash, the speed should show as 60 (1/60 second)
or slower, otherwise the curtain will not be wide open when
the flash fires.

Hmm, I could go on all night...

>Sorry if this is really basic, but if anyone can help or point me to a
>website which could help me.

I'm sure the offers, and pointers to good website will come
flowing in shortly :-)

Cheers
Ian Manners