RE: [OM] Starting the packing process

Subject: RE: [OM] Starting the packing process
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 18:17:14 +0200 (CEST)
Schnooz,

Don't go with the 200. It is a nice lens and all, but is heavy and big and
not really that usefull. I lugged it around in Japan for 2 weeks, and got
one shot only...one that could as well have been done with 10 min more of
hiking and the 135mm.

Also, I'd go "big glass", and aim for apeture rather than focal
length.  That pretty much kills the 135/3.5 and 200/4mm.

Btw. what's a 35/2.5 ??? Another of those limited-series from the Wyomig
factory?

I think I would stuff the 100/2.8 and the 24/2.8. The 100/2.8 is
sufficiently close to a normal lens to be usefull (okok, I use 55 and 85
mm as normal lenses, so I go a bit on the longer side), and the 24mm is
sufficiently wide. The 35mm is a "short normal", which you do not need
when you bring your "long normal" (100/2.8).

A flash, I second. I would not take tubes without also taking a
tripod. Too much trouble.

I'd say go 100/2.8, 24/2.8, T18, a 49mm polarizer and lots of film......

(T18? Yep, it is just the right size and power...)

--thomas

On Wed, 7 Aug 2002, Robert Gries wrote:

> Flash does come in handy for those dusk shots when you want just a
> little fill on people in the foreground.  If you have a T-20 or T-18,
> I'd definitely take it.  Also, the 24 is so small that you wouldn't even
> notice the weight.
>
> Honestly, though, I think that you can get by with the 35 and 100 +
> tubes.
>
> Bob
>
> <snip>
>
> So, how about a vote:
>
> Item          Yes  No
> ------------- ---  ---
> 24/2.8
> 35/2.5         X
> 50/3.5
> 100/2.8        X      (sorry already decided on that) - as well you
> should!
> 135/3.5
> 200/4
> Flash          X