Lenspens (was: Re: [OM] Using/not using filters/Cleaning lenses)

Subject: Lenspens (was: Re: [OM] Using/not using filters/Cleaning lenses)
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 00:37:15 +0200 (CEST)
On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Mike Veglia wrote:

> After reading some of Gary Reese's posts on filters in the past I "just say
> no" to filters ;-)
>
> As far as lens cleaning implements go, I use a Lenspen--as do many others I
> notice out at the track. Works great.

<SNIP>

Well, I do use filters. On ALL lenses. Then again, I may not be handeling
my lenses in a typical way anyways [1].

Still...I was wondering, considering all the discussion on using wet vs.
dry microfibrecloths vs. lens-paper vs. clean dipers vs. whatnot vs.
something from Zeiss, how much of damage I do when I too use a lenspen. I
am not over eagerly cleaning my lenses, but after using a lens for a day
or so, it does tend to get dusty and needs a whipe-off with the brushy end
and, occationally, to be gently rubbed with the "other end" of the lenspen
to rid it from traces of water droplets etc.

How long before the lens-police comes to arrest me for abusive behavior ?

[1] I rarely bother with front lens caps, stuffing lenses into the bag or
into pockets when out taking pictures. And the only reason why I bother
with rear caps is, that I am not able to mount a cheap, expendable
UV-filter to protect the rear lens.

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeniør i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering