Re: [OM] zuiko 135mm 2.8 or 3.5?

Subject: Re: [OM] zuiko 135mm 2.8 or 3.5?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 11:16:29 -0500
If you have not used an f/3.5 lens before, you will find the viewfinder significantly dimmer. I think of f/3.5 lenses as essentially f/4 lenses. They're only 1/3 stop faster. Not a problem if you're a Sunny-16 shooter, but can make focusing far more challenging indoors in lower light levels. It's about 1.7 - 1.8 times less light. Not only is there more light, the viewfinder depth of field is shallower helping to make focusing more accurate, especially when reduced to using the field around the micro-prism ring and split image. There's more to having a faster lens than being able to use slower film and running wide open (with near zero DoF at close range).

-- John