RE: [OM] zuiko 135mm 2.8 or 3.5?

Subject: RE: [OM] zuiko 135mm 2.8 or 3.5?
From: "Robert Gries" <rgg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 2002 08:05:48 -0500
Ah, and one more comment about the 85/2, 135/2.8, 50mm, 35mm, and other
similar focal lengths.

I have the opportunity to get on top of a lot of roof here in Chicago as
part of the annual façade inspections that my company does.  This year,
I finally got wise and brought the camera up with me to get some shots.
I had the 21/3.5, 85/2, and 135/2.8 (the 35 shift was in the shop), and
I found that there is a slight difference between the 135 and 85, but I
much preferred the composition, perspective, etc. that the 85 gave.  I
know that some are concerned about over-filling every hole between the
normal breaks in the focal lengths, but we have legs and feet to get in
between those places.  And, even in situations where we cannot walk in
between (like a roof-top) I found that possibly changing the composition
slightly from what I originally saw to something that is more
appropriate in the VF usually comes out to be the better shot.

The best advice I can give is to really study and concentrate on
building a minimal kit.  I think you will be much happier in the end,
and you will have more money to spend on film and processing.  That
said, the one lens to get is the 85/2.  you will not regret it.  I am
anxious to see what the 28/2 does for me, but I suspect that I could get
most everything I need from the 85/2 and the 28/2.

Bob

<snip>

David:

I would say that you will be much more pleased with the 85/2 than the
135/2.8.  in fact, if you are looking to horse trade for least amount of
cash outlay, then I would also sell your 50mm (if you have one) because
it will be replaced  by the 85/2.  I'm sure many know of my discomfort
with the 50mm (which may be unique to me), but I'd say get the 85/2, and
worry about the rest later.  I have also had good results with the 2x-A
and 85/2 combo, if you are still looking for that extra length...

Bob