Re: [OM] Further on technology (R&D)

Subject: Re: [OM] Further on technology (R&D)
From: "Lee Penzias" <l_penzias@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 22:11:34 -0500
There are plenty of reasons that government wanted control of it in terms of public usage. But the expertise was largely private. I see many named individuals - and private institutions in the article introduction.

The "commercialization" piece of the article reads as if the entire private sector had to come to to "learn how it all worked". They use the term "Vendors". Vendors sell products and services; they do not necessarily invent, design and develope them. Telecommunications vendors by and large sell *services*. What is left out is the fact that the whole system was built with technology and component systems invented, designed and built for the most part by the private sector, classified or not, over a long period of time. And the whole thing started in the mind of Mr. Licklider.

Government? Naaaah!

The history of telecommunications in this country is a similar example - rail and air transportation a couple more.

Cheers,
Lee