RE: [OM] Further on technology (R&D)

Subject: RE: [OM] Further on technology (R&D)
From: "Lee Penzias" <l_penzias@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 20:18:01 -0500
Government labs - as in government operated - are generally limited to particular areas of research. But most of the original technologies etc that are researched and developed have come from private persons, institutions and corporations. The governments then seek to develope them into something the government/military intends to make use of.

While it is true the governments tender many R&D contracts, these are, again, limited to particular fields and applications. My token start list have all have had enormous impact on the world, and have become useful to a greater or lesser degree to governments in military applications. But the list of inventions, significant designs and technologies that has come from the private/commercial sector is enormous, and probably beyond count.

Cheers,
Lee