Scale focusing - WAS [OM] light travel kit usage [Wayne]

Subject: Scale focusing - WAS [OM] light travel kit usage [Wayne]
From: Jim Couch <jamesbcouch@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 11 Jul 2002 09:11:52 -0700
Well I suppose it depends on what you are after as well. I have to admit that I
rarely
shoot wide open at close distances with the Rollie for one thing. The other
thing is
that I use it more as a 'snapshot' camera so I am not as concerned about
getting the
hair in the DOF range. If I can get a good shot, with the eyes in focus I am
happy.
FWIW, I have had as good a luck shooting in low light with the Rollei as I have
had with
the XA. If I am really concerned about the DOF I shoot with the OM.

It also takes a fair amount of practice. Try scale focusing your XA for a bit,
double
checking your 'guesses' with the rangefinder. Most people are not any good at
it simply
because they don't do it much. You also learn tricks to guess by. For example
if I reach
out with my arm and touch an objectit is 2' away from the camera lens on an XA
or 35S
held up to my eye. A person sitting across a table from you in a typical
resturaunt will
be about 4-5 feet away depending on how close you both sit to the table.
(leaning toward
table vs sitting up straight for example.)

Jim Couch