RE: [OM] Hyperfocal focussing?

Subject: RE: [OM] Hyperfocal focussing?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 13:25:44 -0500
At 09:53 7/2/02, Dan Lau wrote:
Excuse my ignorance, but this description sounds like you are just
using the "depth of field" to keep the subject in focus.  I thought
hyperfocal goes beyond what the normal depth of field provides.
        -Dan

No.

It is "normal" depth of field at maximum possible depth for a given focal length, aperture, and maximum acceptable circle of confusion diameter, which defines maximum acceptable *un*-sharpness before perceiving it as *un*-sharp. If the rear boundary depth of field equation is rearranged and solved for critical focus distance at which the rear boundary distance from the camera position approaches infinity (becomes infinitely large), it reduces to the hyperfocal distance equation.

Be cautious if using lens markings to set a hyperfocal focus distance. These are usually based on a liberally large circle of confusion diameter on the order of 0.030mm to 0.033mm (on the film). This might be sufficient for many people in small prints (3.5x5 or 4x6) viewed at about 14 inches. However, it will not be sufficiently small for *all* people (some of whom have greater than average acuity), and this insufficiency goes up with size of print. I work with 0.025mm or smaller circle of confusion diameter which requires stopping down as much as a full stop from many lens markings (e.g. using f/8 markings for an f/ll aperture setting).

-- John