RE: [OM] Hyperfocal focussing?

Subject: RE: [OM] Hyperfocal focussing?
From: "Brian Swale" <bj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 19:50:32 +1200
Hi folk

Actually, I think there are times when what you both have written does not
apply.

Sometimes, the realities of available light, film speed, and movement of
subject, mean that  hyperfocal distance needs to be considered at even
smaller apertures.

In such instances what I do is this.

Decide where exactly in the subject are the points both far and near that I
*really* want to be in focus. Focus on each and note where on the lens barrel
these points are (ie, how far). Chose the aperture that the lens markings
indicates *should* cover both extremes of distance. Check that this seems
to be working by using the stop-down button.

Experts will say that the next step, having got the above all correct, is to
stop down one or two stops more, as the indicated hyperfocal distance on
the lens barrel is too marginal for good quality.

Brian