RE: [OM] Hyperfocal focussing?

Subject: RE: [OM] Hyperfocal focussing?
From: "Robert Gries" <rgg@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 12:05:15 -0500
Sean:

Hyperfocal focusing is when one uses that depth of field at a certain
aperture to capture to most information in focus.  This technique works
particularly well with wide angle lenses.

When the infinity mark on the lens barrel right is lined up with the
f-number of choice, the resulting Hyperfocal distance will be infinity
to whatever distance is marked on the opposite side (left).

This, of course is only useful for smaller apertures (f11 or f16) where
the depth of filed is greater.

I hope this helps, but if not, feel free to ask any questions!

Bob Gries

<snip>

Could someone do me the favor of explaining the concept of "hyperfocal
focussing" (don't know if i have the term right).  I have a small idea
of what it's about, but don't really get it.  Does it have anything to
do with the depth-of-field scale on a prime lens?  Every time i try to
use that, i simply end up with a small focussed part in the middle, and
everything else out of whack.  Confused!