Re: [OM] Shipping from US to EU - taxes?

Subject: Re: [OM] Shipping from US to EU - taxes?
From: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tue, 2 Jul 2002 00:21:22 +0200 (CEST)
Just to clarify. I am 100atisfied with John's way of dealing with this
shipment. I have nothing to complain about re. John or Camtech, and I am
very happy that John sends insurred.

My only "objection" was re. the french customs dealing with
this. Unfortunately, they are not as nice and hlpfull as John is.

Just to make sure that noone thinks I complain over John. I'd never had
reason to be anything but satisfied with his service :)

On Mon, 1 Jul 2002, John Hermanson wrote:

> Insurance is for my protection in case the package doesn't get there.  =
It's
> also for the customer so if the merchandise arrives damaged, the custom=
er
> can file a claim.
> _________________________________
> John Hermanson  www.zuiko.com
> Camtech, Olympus Sales & Service since 1977
> 21 South Lane, Huntington NY 11743-4714
> 631-424-2121 For Free Olympus manuals,
> please call 1-800-221-3000
> _________________________________
S,
> to have it delivered in Europe? What's the normal taxes that apply?
>=20
> I ask because I just received a shipment from John H today (Thanks
> John). The insurance value was declared to 200USD, and John had in the
> "value" field written "-200". Which, knowing John, probably is accurate.
>=20
> However the box had a big (red, even) envolope with a tax claim....in t=
he
> amount of 100 EUR.
>=20
> Now, making the assumption that 1EUR is approximately 1USD is not too f=
ar
> off - making this a 50% taxation for some lens caps and similar stuff. =
> find that to be outragous.
>=20
> I'm probably off to complain to someone on this, however I would just l=
ike
> to solicit experiences from the list. Is this really typical to see tha=
> much taxes?
>=20
> The good side: the parcel should contain lens caps, MR9-adaptors and a
> tripod ring for my 300/4.5.....
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20
>=20

--=20

  Thomas Heide Clausen
  Civilingeni=F8r i Datateknik (cand.polyt)
  M.Sc in Computer Engineering

  E-Mail: T.Clausen@xxxxxxxxxxxx
  WWW:    http://www.cs.auc.dk/~voop