Re: LPs still chugging, was Re: [OM] Re: OT ( OM ) CDROMs

Subject: Re: LPs still chugging, was Re: [OM] Re: OT ( OM ) CDROMs
From: Walt Wayman <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 09:20:02 -0400
Message text written by INTERNET:olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>Well - Emory Cook was making binaural records before there were commercial
stereo tapes available -- and did you have "stacked" or "staggered" heads
on
your playback deck ?
------
Craig<

I guess I should've said stereo was only available on reel-to-reel tape to
the ordinary college kid back then.  As for stacked or staggered heads, all
I recall is that my first stereo experience came via a Weber (I think that
was the brand name -- I remember it was blue) tape recorder with a couple
of speakers that could be detached for the stereo spread.  It lived in our
dorm room at the University of Tennessee until I traded it for a 12 gauge
Remington Wingmaster pump shotgun, which I still have.  For quite a while,
we had only one stereo tape, an early Kingston Trio album, and as many
times as we played it, I guess it must be my early Alzheimers that keeps me
from remembering the title.  I do remember how wonderfully realistic we
thought the sound was.  Little did we know.

Walt