[OT] Computer upgrades (was Re: [OM] Re: archive slide scanning)

Subject: [OT] Computer upgrades (was Re: [OM] Re: archive slide scanning)
From: Tom@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 30 Jun 2002 18:50:29 -0400
On Friday, June 28, 2002 at 11:14, Jim Brokaw <olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote re "Re: [OM] Re:  archive slide scannin" saying:

> I have (literally) bought into this for cameras, but still have the computer
> upgrade bug. Its interesting that my Dad is a 'slow adopter' for technology.
> He says "I'm retired, I have time... what do I need a faster computer for?"
> and I have a hard time answering.

If no answer, stay with that ISA 16Mhz 386.

Some answers: run windows 2000, attach USB and firewire devices, see
multimedia better, edit pix or video with more memory, do more things at
once.

> Next Christmas I think it will be an LCD monitor, although "I've got plenty
> of room on my desk, why do I need a small flat monitor?" is the current
> stand. Once he has it he'll appreciate it... <g>

Not necessarily. CRTs are more accurate for picture editing or for running
different resolutions (games, ...). Big CRTs are cheaper than LCDs, but
make more heat. For more space, get a dual-head video board like Matrox's,
and run2 monitors. I like lots of virtual desktop.

tOM