Re: [OM] Re: archive slide scanning

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: archive slide scanning
From: "Donald MacDonald" <donald.macdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 16:30:28 +0100
Hmm, I guess the 'sides' in this discussion are pretty well formed, every
time it comes up the same voices (pretty much) pipe up on one 'side' or the
other.

IMHO John Lind's final point is unanswerable. In my lifetime, with care, my
Kodachromes will give me immense, instant pleasure as long as I have a light
source that I can hold them up against. A little extra technology ( a light
box and a loupe, maybe a viewer, or a  projector...) and I can comfortably
view them at a decent size.

I have a Hanimex Rondex projector I bought 25 years ago when I was even more
broke than I am now. I still have the spare bulb I bought for it then. I
built my first lightbox a few years after that, and now have a Jessops
mini-light box that does me fine. My first check on a box of trannies is
holding them up to the window.

My first PC was an IBM 286 MCA machine with a 20 megabyte hard drive and so
little RAM I can't even recall how little it was. It couldn't do all the
stuff I do now.

I bought my Dell XPS D333 when it was the fastest P2 you could buy. I stuck
an extra 40 gigabyte hard disk in there and all 384 megabytes of SDRAM it
would take. I have a 19 inch monitor and a ScanWit 2720s. I use all this to
get cheap prints off my trannies and to put photographs on the web and share
with friends. The HP 720c does just fine.

DVD? Maybe, they're coming down in price and rewriters could be affordable
for even the unemployed penniless like me. But I think it's unlikely I could
justify it to myself or my wife.

The cost (not just financial) of disposable technology and the attitude it
fosters is horrific. I'm off the self-serving escalator for the foreseeable
future. I can do what I want to do. In thirty years I maybe won't care.

Said it before, if I can't get film, I'll draw...

Donald.

Donald Neil MacDonald, BA DipLIS
www.bigmac1st.freeserve.co.uk

---