[OM] Re: archive slide scanning

Subject: [OM] Re: archive slide scanning
From: Benson Honig <benson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 11:28:33 +0300
Cc: benson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Walt - that shot is just amazing. Do you find that certain pictures scan
better than others - for example - shots with fewer shadows, or more sky?
Or can you generally get that sort of quality (actually, if I could get it
only rarely I would be quite happy!).

All the discussions on archiving are really interesting, helpful, and
important. I tend to agree that there will be greater longevity by doing
some digital back-up - but that the technology will obviously get much
better. In the mean time - well - that black fungus mold is just waiting to
attack our film - and who knows what the next generation will do with our
film (it might even skip a generation...)?!

I do hope film stays around, and it may - just like paint - something I
appreciate regularly in museums - as well as on my own walls at home. Might
not even be so bad if only more serious people stuck with film....

Jim - when you verify after scanning - are you just making sure that the
picture is there - or are you making sure that it is up to some sort of
standard? In other words, are you confident that you can fix most anything
from a tiff format - or are there some red lines where you go back and try
another scan with different parameters?

 I decided to buy Vuescan - and found it does a much better job (The HP
software may have been part of my problem) but also opens up more options -
larger files with more depth, more variability, etc...In sum, after looking
again at Walt's amazing photo, I figure that it is just a matter of my
being a poor "driver" of this scanning technology. I can't say I really
understand it - I do understand most of the darkroom, but it seems not to
apply.

Benson

>I've had an HP S20 for a couple of years and have gotten quite satisfacto=
>ry
>results from both negatives and transparencies.  All my TOPE entries,
>except TOPE 1, are slides scanned with the S20 and diddled with only
>slightly in Picture Window 2.5 and reduced to TOPE dimensions.  Since the=

>anonymity period is up tomorrow, I'll refer you to TOPE 10,     entry 8,
>which you have seen and favorably commented upon, thank you, as an exampl=
>e.
> I scan everything at 2400 dpi and save in JPG format.  There may be a
>problem with your scanner.  I hope not, and I wish I could be more helpfu=
>l.

>Walt

Benson Honig Ph.D.
University of Haifa