Re: [OM] Auto wonderbrick fool!!! long

Subject: Re: [OM] Auto wonderbrick fool!!! long
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2002 13:38:38 -0500
At 22:25 6/26/02, Adam Bolty wrote:
It's always great to see the works and talents of our Olympus community, so many talented photographers...

So true . . . take a bow too . . . you're one of them . . .

It's funny just the other night the manager of AWB who runs our camera club was saying how you could never expect to get great shots when switching a camera to manual (including focus) because of the time spent setting the camera and not then leaving you time to concentrate on composition and that "Certain moment!".

He has forgotten (never learned ??) that control in making a photograph extends to both the technical execution and artistic vision. If it's for exhibition or display, control also extends into "presentation." Technical execution is too often relegated to secondary or even tertiary importance, when all three can "make or break" a photograph. Something as simple as a single change of aperture by one f-stop to establish exactly the depth of field depth, and setting critical focus to place it, can make the difference between good and superb. Same applies to critical shutter speed choices to convey a sense of motion. The automagic, programmed Wunderziegel cannot do this very well. In short . . . it *all* counts.

I was quite happy to get up and show the club the two photos of Dog Gone and Crazy Horse which have won competitions for me and then asked him if he thought it would be possible to take these photos on a manual camera. His answer was it would have to be a very lucky shot!! I told him that they most certainly were not . All it involved was pre-setting the cameras shutter speed and aperture, prefocusing and just waiting for that "Moment!"

BRAVO!!!
These are "learned" skills. A conscious effort to develop these skills eventually makes them efficient. In many situations they become nearly automatic; at least the decision-making about what to do no longer need be pondered much. In unusual and very difficult ones, it enables extracting an excellent image that would be merely acceptable mediocrity if left to the camera's automation. IMHO automagic programmed exposure and focus systems are geared to create at least acceptable mediocrity 1000f the time. However, it's at the expense of what could be done manually to achieve superb excellence.

-- John