Re: [OM] Re: cleaning old slides [Mike]

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: cleaning old slides [Mike]
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 12:48:04 -0700
on 6/26/02 12:36 AM, Lee Penzias at l_penzias@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Mike,
> Barring any good ideas from other list members, I would give the big museums
> (London type) a phone call and talk to their photo curators. They might have
> some good remedies. I would try the Imperail War Museum for a start - and
> maybe the Natural History Museums.
>
> Good luck!
> Lee
> ----Original Message Follows----
>
> "...... Most of these old slides were very dirty but the worst also had what
> appeared to be some sort of black mould growth. Any suggestions as to the
> best way to clean this? I used lens cleaning fluid on some of them which was
> partially effective.
>
> Mike Blayney, Devon (sunny), UK.

Back when I was in classes we cleaned negatives with a chemical cleaner, I
want to remember it as Edwal Negative cleaner. It smelled like it was a
relative of lighter fluid or dry-cleaner fluid... perhaps something like
that is still available. I don't think you want to use anything water-based
as that would probably soften the emulsion and let it scratch easily.

I found some 'growth' deposits on some old color negatives I scanned
recently, and wound up spending a bunch of time in Photoshop Elements
cleaning up the mess...
--

Jim Brokaw