Re: [OM] flash recharging rate/Flash roulette

Subject: Re: [OM] flash recharging rate/Flash roulette
From: "CyberSimian" <CyberSimian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 10:57:57 -0000
An most-informative post -- thank you.  However, so far in this discussion I
don't think anyone has mentioned what I thought was the reason that some
flash units are not recommended for use with NiCads, namely voltage.  Using
my el-cheapo voltmeter, a new alkaline cell has an "open-circuit" voltage of
about 1.65 volts, compared to an open-circuit voltage of about 1.35 volts
for a fully-charged NiCad cell.  Does this difference in voltage have no
effect?  (I recognise that the on-load voltages may be different from the
open-circuit voltages quoted above.)

I am particularly interested in this, as I recently purchased a pre-loved
T18 flash via UK Ebay.  I chose the rarer T18 in preference to the
more-common T20 because of the "upright stance" of the T18; this upright
stance results in the flash tube being further away from the lens than the
tube in the T20 (hence less likelihood of red-eye when the flash is used
on-camera).  However, both the flash instruction sheet and the e-SIF say
that NiCads cannot be used in the T18.  It sounds as though your suggestion
of a series resistor (0.25 ohms for the two-cell T18) might allow NiCads to
be used.

The T18 is functionally similar to the T20 -- both have energy-saving
circuitry and offer full TTL control with the relevant OM cameras.  But the
T20 does have one advantage -- it has its own auto sensor for use with
non-OM cameras, or with OM cameras that do not have TTL flash control (the
T18 acts as a manual flash with those cameras).

-- from Cy in the UK