Re: [OM] Dirty shutter curtain metering pattern

Subject: Re: [OM] Dirty shutter curtain metering pattern
From: "Ian Manners" <om@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 14:19:02 +1000 (EST)
Hi Richard

>curiosity and having a look inside it, I found that the metering
>pattern on the shutter curtain seemed to be dirty. On closer
>inspection, it seemed that in the past there was some solvent or glue
>wiped on it, resulting in patches of the left half of the pattern not
>being as reflective as the right half.

The main thing is, is there any residue left that is sticking out
of the curtain ?

>Would this affect the AE very much?  Pictures that I've taken seem to
>have come out OK, but I don't like the idea of not knowing if a shot
>taken in program or with TTL flash will come out OK or not.

If your exposures seem ok, I wouldnt worry about it to much.

>The place where I bought the camera gave me a 12 month warranty, so I'm
>planning on returning it to get a replacement curtain fitted (if that's
>possible) over the next few weeks.

If you can get a freeby, go for it but I wouldnt be to fussed
unless there is hard residue left that can damage the camera,
I wouldnt think so if you have already been using the camera
so I assume its just smudges.

The OM40 I have here, the back curtain's silver bits are sharp.

Cheers
Ian Manners
Melbourne :-)