Re: [OM] Zuiko 200mm f/4

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 200mm f/4
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 23 Jun 2002 00:30:51 -0700
The shapes of the surfaces of virtually all glass lens elements from the beginning of optics have been sections of spheres. Optical designers realized from very early on that other shapes could be used to improve lens performance and/or reduce elements. However, there was never any process developed to produce them at commercially sustainable prices until recently. It was also not practical to design complex non-spherical surfaced lens elements until the advent of relatively powerful computers. I believe the biggest use in photography is in molded plastic lenses in disposable cameras and cheap point and shoots. Disposables might not exist without this technology which allows incredibly cheap lenses to form sharp images. At the other end of the spectrum, aspherical elements are used in many recent zoom designs. I think they are also molded, but glass. Even now, most surfaces in even the most sophisticated designs are still spherical.

Moose

nizora wrote:

Could any one help with the explanation of what aspherical element is.
Many thanks inadvance,
Rob