Re: [OM] OM2S Fang

Subject: Re: [OM] OM2S Fang
From: dreammoose <dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2002 13:20:10 -0700
Mark Marr-Lyon wrote:

Is there something about the OM40 that makes it a better snapshot camera?

-It has DX encoding and a film window for mistake free film loading and iso setting. You can even tell (or guess, depending on the film can) what's in there later when you've forgotten.

-It has ESP metering, an early form of matrix metering (the closest thing to 'auto-spot' for the snapshooter). In Program mode with ESP, you can pretty much just focus and shoot for snapshots and get proper exposures. This would likely have improved many of Rich's Highland games shots. As long as the subject of interest is in the central area of the frame, it will compensate for extra bright or dark areas in the outer parts of the frame. It even has a little light to show when it's working.

-It is the only one of the 'double-digit' OMs with TTL flash, an important snapshot feature.

-It's lighter than the single digit OMs.

-Somehow it just feels more like a casual, comfortable camera

-It also has regular AE and full manual control of shutter speed and film speed/compensation when you want it. It even has full mirror/aperture pre-fire with the self-timer for long exposures.

-It's cheaper to replace when it mysteriously disappears while you are paying attention to non-photographic things or when your elbow accidently knocks it off the railing.

- It looks really cool with the 35-70/3.5-4.5. (The 35-70/3.6 is stylistically wrong, save it for for OM-1s and 2s.)

- It properly holds Zuikos, so it takes great pictures.

OK, OK, so I recently got an OM-PC (thanks Tom) and I really like it for 'just walking around' photography. Don't let me oversell. There is at least one significant down side. Apparently they aren't the most reliable OMs ever made and are subject to electronic glitches or complete failure and parts aren't generally available.

You hadda ask ;-)

Moose