[OM] (OT) Pronunciation

Subject: [OM] (OT) Pronunciation
From: Chris Barker <imagopus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 06:35:03 +0100
Cc: Garth Wood <garth@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Oh all right Garth, I shall put you out of your misery... Mr Howard
is a Leslie, so "Lez" is the right answer.  I went to school with a
few Americans and Canadians (a private school run by Benedictine
monks in Somerset, Downside by name) and they all pronounced names
strangely - Martin and Les come to mind immediately.

What they didn't do then was misuse "lay" and "lie": the former is a
transitive verb which takes a direct object e.g. "lay the picnic out
on the grass" whereas the latter is intransitive and takes no direct
object e.g. "I lie on my bed after a late night out feeling like
death".

The confusion arises because "lie" has the past tense as "lay" (I lay
in my bed for a long time yesterday) and "lay" looks completely
different (I laid the picnic out on the grass in case she wanted to
join me).

Look what you lot have done to our language :>).

Chris