Re: [OM] TAMRON 17 / 3,5

Subject: Re: [OM] TAMRON 17 / 3,5
From: "Roger D. Key" <rdk@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 09:24:16 +0200
Thanks for the info Walt.

I just bought a Tamron 17/3.5 on UK eB*y without checking which version it
was; now I am waiting for delivery a little nervously, to see exactly what
I have bought! I hope that that the hood is with it if it is the newer
version.

I notice that Tamron USA still list the 17/3.5 for 686USD, a little more
than the 60-300 that has also not officially been made since 2000. The
Danish Tamron importer does not seem to have any stocks of MF lenses or
accessories (but they have a very helpful technician).

Roger Key

Walt Wayman wrote:

Roger Key wrote:

>There are two versions. The first version (model 51B) was made from 1979
>1984. The second version (model 151B) was made from 1989-2000. They use
>different lens hoods, but otherwise the main difference is that the first
>version had four built-in filters; Normal (UV), 80B, 81B, and Y2. The
later
>model apparently does not have built-in filters but takes 82mm external
>filters.

But only in the hood.  (Sounds like a rap song title.)  The lens itself has
no filter threads, and the hood clamps on with a pair of set screws.  The
filter threads are inside the hood, so without it, you can't attach a
filter.  And, as I posted before, the sucker costs $53, plus another $9.95
for an 82mm snap-on lens cap.  I know whereof I speak because I just had to
buy both from B&H, which made my "good deal" 17/3.5 more like a "fair
deal."

Walt