[OM] Olympus Digital SLR

Subject: [OM] Olympus Digital SLR
From: Mike Veglia <msvphoto@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2002 09:09:53 -0700
On the prompting of an OM fan on a digital camera mail list I sent a long
note to Olympus PR in Tokyo. The gist of my note was to introduce myself as
a life-long (life of the OM system that is) user of OM cameras who is
holding out hope that Olympus will introduce a professional SLR, preferably
one that takes our beloved OM Zuiko lenses. I wrote this realizing I was
beating a dead horse, and that we have all heard countless times that
Olympus will not offer a DSLR that accepts MF Zuiko glass. It took Olympus a
while to reply, but they have and the response is interesting enough that I
thought some here would like to read it. The reply is as follows:

"Dear Mr.Mike Veglia,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding our product.
This is Manabu Oikawa, a member of customer support center in Tokyo, Japan.
Please kindly accept our apologies for late reply in advance.

As you know, we are developing the SLR camera which can exchange the lens.
However, we are unable to inform you of a specification and details of it
before
determining the specification and details. And, we are not sure whether the
Zuiko
lenses are available to that camera.

If you need further information from OLYMPUS Tokyo, please feel free to
contact us.
Thank you for your attention.

Best regards,
Manabu Oikawa
Customer Support Center
OLYMPUS Optical Co.,LTD. Tokyo, Japan"

I especially like the quote "we are not sure whether the Zuiko lenses are
available to that camera" since that goes against the grain of the company
line we have been hearing for some time now...is there hope after all????

Mike Veglia
Motor Sport Visions Photography
http://www.motorsportvisions.com