Re: [OM] Zuiko 200/5 ?

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 200/5 ?
From: Bill Stanke <bstanke@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 09:47:54 -0700
Winsor:

I think that you observation is correct.  I think the F/5 was a
marketing ploy that "most lenses from 28(?) to 200 used the 49 mm
filter.

I have both the 200 F/4 and the 200 F/5.  I think the "4" is the better
lens.  The larger lens balances nicely on a body, especially if you also
have Winder attached.  The "5" has always felt "nose light" to me, and
is harder to handhold.

The 4 works wells with a Tokina 2X tele-convertor.  The 5 is a disaster
with a 2X (F/10 anyone?).

Physically, the 5 is a cute little bugger.  It's about the same size as
the 135 mm Hektor for the Leica.  My 5 is in much better cosmetic
condition, and cost me about 2X of the 4. ($139 vs $68 for the 4).

The lens hood on the 4 will easily unscrew, should a replacement be
needed.  The hood on the 5 would require disassembly of the lens to
remove and replace.

I bought mine from Wall Street Camera.  They had two of them when I last
looked at:

http://www.wallstreetcamera.com/cgi-bin/3_script.cgi?recno=11

I suspect a zoom that included the 200 mm focal length would be a more
useful lens for most people.

Bill Stanke