Re: [OM] Digital camera advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Digital camera advice
From: "Sara H" <sherlock@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 12:43:59 -0400
There's a digital camera list through leben that seems split between Nikon
and Olympus(other than the high end users ($1500+), most others prefer Nikon
coolpix), but I got an Olympus 2100 uz and am delighted with it.   Olympus
has good optics.    For what she's doing, it sound like a camera that
includes macro would be good.

Mine also came with Adobe PhotoDelux Home which is great and mine (and I
think most Olympus) shoot jpg - which is good for web.     You'd need to
check the specifics on each camera, (http://www.shortcourses.com/ is a good
site to check comparisons and links), but a camera for $500 or less should
easily do what she wants.

Just my opinion, but film may be better in some aspects, but for web
presentations, much detail must be lost to make for a smaller file (and so
more people take time to see what you are selling) - and because most folks
don't see over 100 dpi on a screen anyway.   She can link to a larger file,
but it still shouldn't be more than a good representation of the work as
most people aren't going to wait for the download time, unless they are
cable modemed.  And, unless someone is printing it out at full size (and
some high end digitals would run with the non-digitals), you won't tell a
difference.   And she probably doesn't want people reproducing her work
anyway.

I love digital and haven't regretted changing over.   I get to see what I've
shot almost instantly, no more smelly developing chemicals, get 100's of
shots on a card (128mb), and it's lightweight and I don't have to carry so
many attachments.  One lens does macro (4") to zoom (10x opt), has built in
flash (I don't use much), and I can also shoot movies.   Stay away (or don't
think of it as anything but cropping) from digital zoom - means nothing but
poor cropping.

Sara