[OM] RE: ( OM ) The benefits of not cheaping out

Subject: [OM] RE: ( OM ) The benefits of not cheaping out
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 10:15:13 -0600
> I note that John Shaw recommends, for the Manfrotto 3-way pan/tilt head,
> making up a little bracket that is screwed on to the Quick Release plate,
> tailored to fit his cameras, and which has a lug that engages on the back
of
> the camera preventing rotation when shooting in portrait mode with a long
> lens.

 That's an interesting idea, definitely. Thinking about it, I've got a tap
and die set, which suddenly opens up a whole _lot_ of extra possibilities;
some of which aren't QR, admittedly, but if I'm going to be in the same
place for a while that shouldn't be a huge problem.

> One advantage of such an arrangement is that you are not tempted to screw
> the heck out of the fastening screws into the camera base, thus
potentially
> damaging the camera base-plate.

 I think I've solved the sag-due-to-rubber-compression issue, by doing
basically this -- I think the rubber had compressed a bit after the initial
tightening down of the screw, so I gave it another (careful) crank, and now
there's basically no sag. I suspect doing the same thing again tonight to
get rid of any final residual slop should solve the problem for the
forseeable future.

 -- dan