Re: [OM] Monday, Sunset, Be There

Subject: Re: [OM] Monday, Sunset, Be There
From: "Walt Wayman" <hiwayman@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 16:12:08 -0400
>In a message dated 6/4/2002 12:05:23 PM Central Standard Time,
>clintonr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
>
>>Oh, great -- we'll be seeing a bunch of cameras with holes
>>burned into the curtains again....
>>

>How would that happen?  People frequently have the sun in a
>picture they have taken  and it does not burn a hole in the
>shutter curtain.
>I have heard of it happening with rangefinders which do not have
>a mirror when they are left lying face up for a while in the sun
>without a lens cap.
>--
>Winsor Crosby
>Long Beach, California

I wondered myself.  When the shutter curtains are closed, the
mirror is down.  When the mirror is up, the curtains are either
moving or open.  How could this happen? I pondered.  (I try to
ponder a couple of times a day.)

Then a feeble spark ignited, producing this notion: using the self
timer could do it.  The mirror is up and the curtains are closed.
It's only a few seconds, but if you've focused on the sun, it
could happen.  Or not.  I really don't know.  I'll yield to Clint
on how it happens.

Walt