RE: [OM] The benefits of not cheaping out

Subject: RE: [OM] The benefits of not cheaping out
From: "Daniel J. Mitchell" <DanielMitchell@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 10:34:00 -0600
> It might be worth checking the Bogen/Manfrotto catalogue, some of the
quick
> release plates use cork rather than rubber.  Another alternative, you
could
> replace the rubber with hard cork (e.g. piece of cork floor tile).

 You're right, the QR plate that they sell as a replacement for the one I've
got uses cork -- but is cork 'sticky' enough? I've found that on the
previous tripod I had which came with a cork QR plate, if I have the camera
in portrait mode with a longish lens, it'll tend to slowly rotate downwards
around the tripod mount. Presumably it's less compressible than rubber,
though, which is why it doesn't sag.

 I'll see how much the new plate would be and give it a try -- B&H want
$10.95 for one of these, so it's not a big deal -- and the spare plate can
go on the bottom of the Rolleiflex or something.

 Also:

> I opted for a Kirk
>quick release and RRS camera plate. No rubber. Really solid.

 How much do those cost? Kirk don't make OM plates, and RRS don't list
prices; I'm guessing it's not cheap, though.

 -- dan