Re: [OM] opinions on the 50/2 OM Macro...

Subject: Re: [OM] opinions on the 50/2 OM Macro...
From: Dan Lau <dlau@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2002 09:26:32 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 03 Jun 2002 21:08, "james olson" <james_olson@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>As I use a 50mm prime quite a lot, I've always been interested in the 50/2
>macro.  There hasn't been very much discussion on the list regarding this
>lens, and I'm looking for opinions.

>I have a 50/3.5 which I love, but it isn't really usable until f/8 in my
>opinion.  (Too slow for low light.)   As I shoot 50mm's in low light quite
>often, how is the 50/2 at f/2 and f/2.8?

Are you asking about the 50/2 for its MACRO capability or just its
50mm usage?  If you are only interested in a good, fast, 50mm prime,
then the 50/1.8 is faster and very good just by itself.  But if you
are comparing the MACRO capabilities of the 50/2 against the 50/3.5,
then I don't know.

I am also interested in getting into MACRO photography and I've been
thinking about getting a 50/3.5MC lens to try.  But if the 50/2MC is
that much better in the MACRO capability, then I may change my mind
(though the price is almost double).  Thanks for any comments to
James' question.