Re: [OM] opinions on the 50/2 OM Macro...

Subject: Re: [OM] opinions on the 50/2 OM Macro...
From: Jim Brokaw <jbrokaw@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2002 23:07:53 -0700
on 6/4/02 1:20 PM, dreammoose at dreammoose@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

> If you are interested in outdoor nature shots, think about working
> distance. I think the 50/3.5 is an excellent lens, but I don't like it
> for field macro work. The working distance is just too short and that
> would apply to the 50/2 also. A longer focal length is much better. It
> doesn't scare off the bugs as easily and it's easier to keep equipment
> shadows off the subject. I've never been up to paying for the 90/2, but
> hear it's excellent. Other list members report excellent results with
> the 85/2 and extension tubes. The 50/1.4 with a Vivitar Macro
> Teleconverter makes a good 100/2.8 that focuses to 1:1 with really good
> quality. The Tamron/Vivitar/Tokina/Sigma 90/f2.5(8) et. al. are good
> lenses that go to 1:2, but require extension tubes to go to 1:1. The
> Tamron 90/2.5 with their 2X Adaptall converter is a 180/5.0 that goes to
> 1:1, gives excellent working distance and results and is longer,
> cheaper, easier to handle and only 1/3 stop slower than the 135/4.5 with
> 65-116. One favorite of mine is the Kiron 105/2.8, which focuses
> directly to 1:1 without accessories. The big focus mechanism and rugged
> metal construction make it a bit heavy, but I love the results. Another
> possibility I haven't tried yet is the 135/2.8 with tubes and converter.
> Extension tubes on longer teles can give amazing closeups from a
> considerable distance.
>
> I emphasize 1:1 not because I take a lot of shots that close, but
> because a lot of times I find 1:2 isn't quite enough and doing a lot of
> fussing to add a tube (and then take it off for the next shot) may lose
> the shot (or a later one I don't get to). I also find the 1:1.55
> capability of the Tamron SP 60-300 very effective. Just my experience,
> others may vary.
>
> Moose

Two more possibilities that Moose didn't mention...

The Vivitar 135/2.8 Close Focusing Telephoto lens is a 135/2.8 with a
focusing helical that will crank to 1:2 without any external adapters. At
the closest focus you have about 15" or so of working distance. It is not
physically much larger than the 90 macro lenses mentioned.

The Vivitar 90-180/4.5 Macro Zoom lens is big and heavy, but almost unique
in that it is a zoom macro lens that will go to 1:2 at all focal lengths.
This lens would give even more working distance than the 135 CF Telephoto at
the 180mm end of the range. It is also described as 'flat field', so I
suppose for copying paintings or flat subjects it might be sharper (I've
never tested that). Seems like the zoom would be handy in a museum where you
can't necessarily get close to the subject, but still want to fine-tune the
framing.
--

Jim Brokaw